Isn’t there something so magical about this time of year? We love everything festive and we especially like a Christmas story. In our house we love books and there’s nothing better than settling down with a story together and getting lost in different adventures.
A few years ago my mum made Ethan a Christmas book advent calendar. A beautiful Christmas story to read every day of advent, so I thought it would be lovely to share with you some of our favourite Christmas stories. It was hard but I’ve narrowed it down to our 10 favourites! We hope you enjoy them as much as we have.
- First up is ‘The Dinosaur that Pooped Christmas‘. This is a great story to read with your little ones. It’s the first of ‘The Dinosaur that Pooped’ series of stories. It’s about a dinosaur that eats up everything to do with Christmas. He gets so full that there’s only one thing he can do! I Won’t ruin it but I think you can probably guess… My children find this hilarious and it’s an easy read. A great one to start with. I found it at Scholastic as a hardback but It’s also available in paperback.
2. Next up is the Christmas set of the “That’s not my“ range. This pack includes ‘That’s not my reindeer, snowman, Santa and Elf’. These are great to introduce little ones to books. There’s lots to touch and feel alongside working out which is the right snowman, elf, reindeer or snowman. I found them at Snazel.
3. When you were younger didn’t you always want to wait up and see Santa? This book ‘How to Catch Santa‘ is a great story about 2 children who try to catch Santa to ask him all their questions. Read how they get on by buying the book here.
4. ‘Twas the night before Christmas‘. Every year my mum would read us this on Christmas eve before we went to sleep. I’ve carried this tradition on with my children. It has a lovely magical feel to it and shows Saint Nick coming down the chimney. The phrases throughout the book are just beautiful. If you don’t already own a copy head to Amazon for one.
5. Times are changing and now we have books about selfies! ‘The Christmas sElfie contest‘ is about an elf who wants to win! He doesn’t get on well on his own but with the help of his elf friends and a little teamwork he gets a perfect selfie. I found this one in The Works 10 for £10 deal.
6. ‘One Snowy Night’ is about a little hedgehog who gets a surprise when a parcel falls through the sky. In the parcel is a snuggly hat which gets passed to all the animals until it arrives back with its owner. A lovely snowy story, available here, which will make you feel all cosy and warm inside.
7. For older readers ‘Father Christmas’s Fake Beard‘ by Terry Pratchett is a book full of short christmas stories. Lots of lovely stories with some humour thrown in to get you in the Christmas mood. Get it at Waterstones here.
8. Next up, a true classic –‘The Snowman‘. A heartwarming story about a snowman bought to life. Follow the story of the little boy and the snowman he builds. This is a story from Waterstones, based on the original.
9. ‘Santa’s 12 days of Christmas‘. A story about Santa enjoying his Christmas! It tells a story about what Santa gets up to over Christmas in a 12 days of Christmas style! Another one in The Works deal.
10. ‘When Granny saved Christmas‘ is another one from The Works. A story about some little mice who go to stay with Granny for Christmas. They are worried Santa won’t find them until Granny comes up with a solution. A sweet story but you may have to build a Santa slide afterwards!
So there we have it – a round up of my favourite Christmas reads – all that’s left to do is to light the fire, make a hot chocolate and curl up with your little ones and a Christmas tale or two. Enjoy!