Visiting the seaside in Britain is a fine tradition that we all like to indulge in when the sun even partially peaks out from behind the cloud. It doesn’t matter where you live, the lure of the rock, fish ‘n’ chips and Kiss Me Quick hats is too much to resist. you pile the family into the car and make for the nearest resort.
And from Whitby to Worthing, Llandudno to Largs, Blackpool to Brighton, the experience is largely similar. There are a host of things that happen on every holiday at the seaside in Britain. We’ve collected 17 essential parts of UK beach life that you can guarantee you will witness this summer.
Essential parts of any holiday at the seaside in Britain
1. The drive to the seaside is always a nightmare as you battle all the other holidaymakers and attempt to keep the kids entertained for hours on end in heavy traffic.
2. Breathing in the salty sea air and listening to the sound of the seagulls squawking always feels wonderful
3. Although seagulls are actually pretty terrifying up close. If you’re not careful, what starts out as a lovely picnic on the beach turns into a scene from Alfred Hitchcock’s The Birds.
4. You wonder why you ever used to go abroad. With beautiful beaches and breathtaking coastlines, who needs the Caribbean when there’s Cornwall right here?
5. There aren’t any fancy fish to look at. But there’s the lingering concern you might get stung by jellyfish or step on a crab.
6. ‘Swimming’ will likely involve splashing about in water that only comes up to your knees. It’s too cold to go any further at the seaside in Britain
7. It’s chilly even in the sun, yet somehow you still get sunburnt.
8. Fish and chips taste better by the sea. You don’t know why, but they just do.
9. A day at the beach is like a military operation. You cart a dinghy, deck chairs, several windbreaks, and a variety of bucket and spades down to the sand, then spend the rest of the day trying to stop them blowing away. It’s peak dad duty.
10. Sand gets everywhere. No nook or cranny escapes those scratchy grains.
11. Crazy golf is so much fun. Until one member of the party gets a little too competitive.
12. You have an ice cream cone every afternoon without fail. And it’s got to be topped with a flake, of course.
13. You put the FUN in fun fair, even when it involves spending a ridiculous amount just to win a cheap plastic keyring or ugly cuddly toy.
14. Long coastal walks are glorious – especially when they end in a pub beer garden.
15. Family arguments are rife. But at least everyone shuts up while devouring their daily ice cream.
16. You go home with silly souvenirs. Do you need a fringe magnet shaped like Blackpool Tower? No. Are you going to get one anyway? Yes.
17. You wouldn’t change a thing. The seagulls, sand and silly souvenirs are all part of the glorious fun.