There is an array of children’s vitamins on the market, but do they really need to take them? What benefit do kids get from vitamin supplements? This article explores what the recommendations are and what the most common vitamins and minerals do for your children.
What are vitamins?
Vitamins are nutrients that help the body to carry out its different functions in a healthy manner. We tend to gain a major proportion of our necessary vitamins through our diet, but there are many occasions when we can supplement our intake to ensure we get enough of the nutrients that we need.
This is particularly helpful for babies who are just starting to eat solid food, children who might be fussy eaters or for anyone who just wants to make sure they are doing all they can to aid their children’s development.
What is the guidance on children’s vitamins?
Due to the importance of getting the required vitamins, the government recommends that you give children aged between six months and five years vitamin supplements that contain at least vitamins A, C and D each day. However, there are many more vitamins and mineral supplements you can give your children up to the age of 12 that can help them to lead healthier lives.
The exception here is for babies and young children who take 500ml or more of formula every day. This already contains additional vitamins and minerals.
However, breastfed babies should get vitamin D supplements from birth.
Which vitamins and minerals help children be more healthy?
- Vitamin A aids a healthy immune system, keeps skin healthy and can help children’s vision in dim light.
- Vitamin C is great for the general health of children. It bolsters their immune system and helps their body absorb iron.
- Vitamin D helps build strong bones in children, as well as helping bones heal after an injury or surgery. It is difficult to gain enough vitamin D through food, and although much of our intake comes from sunlight, there are obvious issues with letting children soak in sunlight for too long. This is why vitamin D supplements are advised for children.
- Calcium aids the growth of strong bones and teeth in children.
- Omega 3 is ideal for overall health, particularly the health of your child’s brain. It can also help them sleep better too.
- Zinc improves your child’s immune system, helps wounds heal more effectively and aids the senses of smell and taste.
How to supplement your child’s vitamin intake?
Super Stars is a range of delicious children’s vitamins and supplements for everyday development. The range contains multivitamins, vitamin C, omega 3, immune support and bone support varieties and each are delicious for children with no added sugar or artificial colours, flavours or sweeteners. These natural supplements allow you peace of mind that your child is getting the vitamins they need, without any of the unwelcome extras that you might find in other products on the market.
Find out more about Super Stars on their website.
Note: this article is created in partnership with Super Stars