Dad was kicked out of the labour room for making a joke

Home Forums Newborns: Sleep, teething and anything else that comes with a newborn Dad was kicked out of the labour room for making a joke

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Ken Adams88 4 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Paul Davies
    Participant

I saw this on Reddit and wondered what people thought of it? …

My (25m) wife (22f) gave birth to our first child 3 days ago and in the delivery room I made a few lighthearted comments which my wife laughed at, but the joyless hag of a nurse lost her shit and kicked me out of the room.
    I calmly tried to placate the demented old boiler by explaining she has no right to be offended on other peoples behalf, but that just made her worse.
    Eventually I left before my ears started bleeding, but I feel the nurse was in the wrong for giving me shit in response to a joke between my wife and I.
    My wife thinks the whole situation was hilarious but considering the amount of money I pay for private health care instead of playing russian roulette with the NHS, I am 50/50 about laughing it off or reporting the miserable old bag.

This is roughly what happened;

*approx 6 hours of grunting(her),farting(her mostly) and me telling my wife how awesome she is*
    Wife: “how does it look?”
    Me: “I feel like i’m watching my favourite restaurant burning down”
    *Wife chuckles and punches me on the arm*
    *miserable nurse tuts loudly and rolls her eyes before stomping out of the room, returning a few minutes later*
    *time passes and our son is born (there was much rejoicing)*
    *Unfortunately my wife suffers 1st degree vaginal tearing and doctor informs us he is going to “put in 2 or 3 stitches”*
    Me: “would you mind putting in a few extra?”
    *wife laughs and calls me a dickhead*
    *younger nurse looks appalled*
    *male doctor giggles before quickly masking it and staring at the floor*
    *Fat old nurse goes batshit, starts ranting and demands I leave the room, I try to reason with her and she just started shrieking*
    *I left and got a sandwich*

Me and my wife have a very similar sense of humour and she was not in the least bit offended by what I said, did that nurse have the right to offended on behalf of my wife?

Thoughts?

Ken Adams88
    Participant

I definitely made a conscious effort to be the ‘comic relief’ in the delivery room as I felt that’s what my partner needed but I think he’s overstepped the mark here.

I cracked a few jokes but I was always aware that you’re still in a serious environment as well as a number of people (in the room) work place.

The midwives, nurses and doctors are there to do a job so think it’s fair enough for them to ask him to leave if they don’t like the content or tone of jokes or anything else that’s done/said.

Read the room!?

My grandad used to say you’re allowed to meet two a**eholes a week. If you meet more than two, you’re the a**ehole…

I imagine this guy meets more than two.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please Log In or Register to continue.