Getting your baby to sleep

Tagged: 

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  hfg 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Al Ferguson
    Keymaster

Anyone got any tips for getting a baby to sleep through the night? My brother has just had his first so keen to get as many tips as possible.

It is a toughie. You obviously want them to sleep but I would be careful to get them too reliant on anything external- rocking, white noise etc obviously gets them to sleep easier but they will eventually get to expect it and wont sleep without it. The reality is that as long as they are fed, watered, dry etc and they are tired they will sleep. If they aren’t any of those things then they won’t. As they get older you can obviously sleep train them but when they are newborns you sort of have to let them decide for the first wee while.

hfg
      Participant

Ah – thanks bro! I’ll be keeping an eye on this one!

Tom Brookes
    Participant

Curious to know why you think getting a baby into a routine as soon as poss as a negative thing?
    Both my boys have been sleeping through the night (at least 12 hours every night) since they were 8 weeks old. We kept to a few simple rules.. bath and bed at same time every night.. the last feed before bed is the only feed done upstairs and on our bed (also make it a larger feed). when they’ve napped during the day we never make it dark or turn the tv down or stop hoovering or any other normal chores etc.. naps are also always in the moses basket/cot or wherever they would normally sleep.. also with naps wake them up with a bottle instead of putting them to sleep after a bottle.. We have stuck to these simple hacks for he whole ‘baby’ period, our youngest has just turned 1 and our oldest is 7 they both always sleep a minimum of 12 hours every night and are both the happiest of boys. Everyone says we’re lucky however I believe it’s down to our routines in turn making a very happy home. Interested to see the flip side of people’s thoughts..

Oh I am all for routine!

Ashley meadows
    Participant

When my little ones where baby’s we never really struggled they went in the own cot and went to sleep on there own and night feeds we would hold as little as possible, it was difficult if they had a bad night but power through and they will get there mine now sleep on there own and go to bed on there own supervised. We had a heart beat bear that they slept with as baby’s after a few months we took it away as didn’t get used but would defiantly recommend a heartbeat bear when first born as it comforts, from what they were used to in the womb.

Al Ferguson
    Keymaster

What routines have people been trying? We did Gina Ford for a while.

Al Ferguson
    Keymaster

All babies are different – very true. I think it’s often a bad idea to manipulate a baby into a set agenda – I guess it works for some, but not others. Haha! Not helpful at all.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please Log In or Register to continue.