Partner with Anxiety and working shifts

Home Forums Men’s / Dad’s Mental Health Partner with Anxiety and working shifts

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Dominic Hayhoe 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Blue01
    Participant

Hi,
    Just wondering if any one has any experiences of having a partner with anxiety (specifically in the evening/early morning) and you working shifts?

Our Daughter had Colic and Reflux from an early age meaning we both didn’t sleep for about the first 5 weeks of her little life, then it didn’t get much better until she was around 12 months old. I believe as a result of this my wife becomes stressed in the evenings, and this is exacerbated when our Daughter isn’t sleeping well.

Adding to all this I am a shift worker, I regularly work night shifts and my job does not afford me the luxury of being able to head home at the drop of a hat. Admittedly if I have a serious issue at home I can leave but I also don’t want to abuse the good will of my employer, line managers and colleagues.
    If my wife is struggling at home when I am on night shift I feel awful that I am not around to help out and to be a Dad. I offer to ask my manager if I can come home for at least a short period to help settle her, but my wife is worried about what my colleagues and friends will think of her if I do this.

When I come off shift I try to take over as much of the parenting as possible to give my Wife a break. It doesn’t help that my daughter gets very clingy with my wife as I sometimes work 72hr weeks and have even worked 100+ hour weeks in times of crisis. This often leaves me exhausted and at times I feel like I don’t get to catch up on any sleep.

I also work in a very male orientated environment so find it difficult to broach the subject with line managers/colleagues.

If anyone has had similar issues or any advice it would be great to hear.

Thanks

Dominic Hayhoe
    Keymaster

I was in a similar situation, you feel torn and guilty when you shouldn’t.

I always believe in these situations continued communication is the key.

That’s communication with your partner, with your work and yes I believe some sort of counselling is a huge help, whether that’s with both of you together or separately.

Saying nothing is the worse thing you can do.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please Log In or Register to continue.