We've been asked to contribute £30 towards our class teachers EOY present!!!

Home Forums Education We've been asked to contribute £30 towards our class teachers EOY present!!!

Tagged: ,

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author

Paul Davies
      Participant

What does everyone else do for end of year presents for their children’s teacher?

We received a WhatsApp message to all the parents asking to contribute £30 towards an end of year gift! £30!?!

To me this is completely ludicrous – I’d even suggest that £10 is too much!

Sounds a lot to me, how many children are in the class?

Paul Davies
        Participant

28 in the class – it’s not even private education where I’d have a little more understanding of the class rep asking/suggesting this!

Dan Marchant
      Participant

I would expect £5-10 contribution. This is what we done when we had a teacher leave for maternity leave

£30 seems quite alot to me!

That’s a lot of money. I’d give nothing and buy them my own wee gift. Teachers really don’t want more than a card anyway.

Ash Humphries
      Participant

That’s like 840 quid. What they planning on doing sending the teacher on holiday? Haha

I think a small token of appreciation, A box of chocolates and a card maybe. 30 quid to alot of people is alot of money.

Gareth Key
      Participant

we normally donate £5 each, £30 is ridiculous! If they want to spend more, why not buy a present from their child instead of a class gift?

Bryan
      Participant

£5-£10 is reasonable. £30 isn’t. Simple. Unless there are other circumstances, are they leaving?
      That’s a lot of pressure to put on people. Sounds to me like it’s someone trying to willy wave about how rich and generous they are.

Wow. If that’s the cost now I’m dreading 3 years time when my lil one goes. Especially with the inflation of everything right now. My sister in law is a teacher and she’s always said a nice hand made thank you card and some sweets/ chocolates or hand made cupcakes mean more to her than an expensive gift. Thought is worth more than price

chrism
      Participant

Screw that!!

My wife is a teacher and she gets presents and tbh £5 is more than enough for a present.

Jordan
      Participant

That sound ridiculous! Deinatley a fiver. Average of 25 kids in a class that’s £125 for a present. What ever happened to a bloody apple 😁

Dave Seal
      Participant

Way too much. I don’t remember ever doing presents for teachers! Who would organise a collection? Just get a card and a novelty gift if child insists on getting something

Edward Ash
      Participant

We’ve done £10 and its only because the teacher this year has been particularly good. What present are they aiming for that takes over £800!

Luke Davies
      Participant

I work in education and find that absolutely outrageous!! £5 max I would say!!

Simon
      Participant

Nope, nope, nope. I wouldn’t ever go in for a group gift anyway. Something homemade and meaningful from my child is far more appropriate.

~Simon

James P
      Participant

That’s a load of bs.

As a teacher receiving gifts at the end of the year was nice depending on who gave the gift and what the gift was. The best gift I got was a best teacher mug from one of the best students or a hand written letter saying how I had helped them.

I reckon you have two options: refuse or ask what the money is for.

Viewing 14 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please Log In or Register to continue.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!