What age is appropriate for a child to have a mobile phone??

Home Forums The DadsNet Forum What age is appropriate for a child to have a mobile phone??

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Jon
      Participant

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on this

Al Ferguson
      Keymaster

For me it’s about the restrictions you have on the phone itself. Unrestricted 4G? Any screen time limitations?

Duncan

I think it depends on the phone and the reason. If you have a child that needs to have a form of communication there is nothing wrong having a non smart phone with a pay as you go sim. But I would say any sort of smartphone needs usage restrictions and screen time limitations. I don’t think my boys will get phones or whatever is around when they grow up until about 11 or 12.

Huw
      Participant

When they start making their own way too and from school then they need a phone to let you know they are home safely.

I’d say none smart phone but we are at least 6 years away from that and I don’t believe they will exist then.

Al Ferguson
        Keymaster

I didn’t have one to go to and from school and I survived?

martin
      Participant

I’m with Al on this one, we didnt have phones growing up without a problem. I want to keep freddy away from too much screen time for as long as possible. I fully believe there should be a total ban on phones at schools apart from wry special cases.

Declan Harvey
      Participant

I think it depends on a few things. Does your child leave the house alone? Are they mature enough for a phone? What would you do as a parent regarding restrictions. With most up to date devices you can access the internet and social media. I’m in a mind of the longer my kids can go without one the better.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Please Log In or Register to continue.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!